Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Worst Movie I've Seen This Year

I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on Blu-Ray disc (via Netflix) Friday night, December 5, 2008. I had skipped seeing it at the theater (even though my wife went) because of the less-than-enthusiastic reviews, and also because the trailer I had seen had horrible-looking green-screen effects (though the film looked better than my memory of the trailer).

I started feeling embarrassed for Spielberg, Lucas, Ford and Blanchett almost from the beginning. Labeouf was about as lifeless as a mannequin.

What a sorry way to end a series.

I don't know which was worse: the story, the dialogue, or the acting. The movie was a "perfect storm" of the worst of each of those elements all coming together and generating this turkey. Watching the featurette on Disc 1, “The Return of the Legend,” about how they came to make the film made me wonder if Spielberg and Lucas have just been extremely lucky that they've made not just one but several good films, because if Crystal Skull is an example of the way they think and what excites them, they are seriously messed up.

It was the Hudson Hawk of Indiana Jones films, except it makes Hudson Hawk look brilliant in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only three Indiana Jones movies. Crystal Skull is merely a parody - no, a travesty.

No comments: